Monday, April 11, 2005

Bloghead: And the brides wore....

Miriam writes about attending a Jewish commitment ceremony between two women.

I have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand: It's none of my business.

On the other hand: I don't think government should have anything to say about this subject. If two gay people are willing to commit to one another, they should enjoy all the rights and privileges straight people enjoy after they sign the papers. The government that offers tax breaks, and other benefits to straight couples should not be the business of making gender distinctions. Also, I find it hard to disagree with the arguments in Andrew Sullivan's A Conservative Case for Gay Marriage, and I expect honest conservatives will, too.

On the other hand: Woman getting married?

On the other hand (I grew up near Love Canal): Women getting married! Yeah, baby.