Monday, March 20, 2006

It's God's Fault the WMDs Never Turned Up

I am a religious person, but sometimes religious people really frighten me. Money quote :

Bill Tierney, who served as a U.N. weapons inspector in Iraq in the late '90s, told National Review Online this week that he would look to God to direct him to possible WMD sites. "God is my intel," Tierney told NRO. His belief in the existence of a uranium-enrichment plant near Tarmiyah was supported, he said, by the fact that a friend had seen it in a dream. This facility has not yet been discovered, but Tierney complains that other weapons inspectors didn't take his intel seriously, and he believes history (let's call it the Final Judgement) will vindicate him...

Tierney also said that, as an intelligence analyst for the U.S. military, he had sought God's help in triaging the hundreds of daily threat reports that would come across his desk: "So I'm sitting there going, 'Alright, God, I need help. Thank you for showing me which one of these things is important and which one is not.'"

Note, Tierny is not just relying on dreams, but on heresay about someone else's dreams. Tell me, how did this kook get the job as U.N. weapons inspector in the first place? Is the entry bar really that low?