Sunday, February 04, 2007

A dream deferred

Received (1) by email (edited, where indicated, by me)

With my apologies to Dr King.

I have a dream that someday, the son of a [Brooklyn or Lakewood] FFB and the daughter of a BT can marry without scandal.

I have a dream that one day a [frum] man can choose to spend his life dedicated to his profession and to being Koveai itim LaTorah, supporting Tzedaka and good deeds, without being judged deficient.

I have a dream that one day, a young frum woman's worth will be judged by the strength of her Middos and the power of her intelligence, not the monetary support her parents can provide.

I have a dream that some day a man will be judged by the content of his character, not the color of his hat.

I have a dream that someday, even Bnei Barak, (2) will become a model of Orthodox Hashkafic diversity.


I say to you today, my friends, that in spite of the difficulties and frustrations of the moment, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the Jewish dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "Elo Velo Divrei Elokim Chaim."

(1) ie: I didn't write this; and neither did my correspondant. I don't know the author's name; neither does my correspondant. If you are the author and would like to have your name attached to this, email me please.

(2) The original said "even Bnei Barak, a city sweltering with religious intolerance and injustice." I thought this was a bit harsh, though I understand the intent.

No comments: