Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Can I ask for your help with this one?

A guest post by TikunOlam

My eldest is currently considering becoming a vegetarian. He is concerned about "animal cruelty" and thinks this might be the right thing for him to do. He hasn't made any decisions yet but has been eating only vegetarian food for the past week as he thinks this through.

One of his major concerns is that if he goes the veggie route he may miss some of his favorite foods such as General Tso Chicken. Today he explained that he thought there might be a remedy to his conflict. Apparently someone (probably a member of "Living Legacy" - a Chabad group that also runs the Matzah Factory at his school) at some point came to speak at his school about Shechita. He remembers the guest saying that chickens feel no pain when they are killed via a shochet. Now, I know nothing about shechita. And I certainly never heard this before. Can anyone help me with this?

No comments: