Thursday, April 05, 2012

Attention smart inventors....

When my mind drifts and settles on a familiar sounding phrase or verse, I can easily use Google to discover its provenance. I can do the same for words and ideas and  familiar names. A quick visit to Google and the mystery of "where did that come from?" is solved.

I'd like some smart inventor in the audience to figure out a way to do the same for melodies. My head is full of shul tunes. Some are always at my fingertips. Others return to me in the shower or during a long drive. I'd love to know their origins. Who composed them? When and where? To what parts of the liturgy were they first assigned?  How did they change over time?

Any ideas? We need a Shazzam for shul music




 Search for more information about Shazzam at 4torah.com

No comments: